The metal fabrication industry continues to evolve. New technologies are impacting processes such as electroplating, machining, welding, bending and precision cutting and how companies implement them. The future of metal fabrication will provide significant challenges in the coming years, but it will also yield impressive new capabilities.
Metal Fabrication Trends
Examples of current trends impacting the metal fabrication industry include:
- Automation: Automated technologies have influenced the industry in recent years and the trend is likely to continue. Specifically, integrating automation into CNC machining can increase efficiency and productivity by eliminating many repetitive steps.
- Robotics: Collaborative robotics (co-bots) can perform tasks that might be too dangerous for humans and substitute for them when performing tedious or repetitive jobs.
- Cybersecurity: As metal fabrication companies become more reliant on cloud-based technologies, the risk of a cybersecurity breach has increased accordingly. Businesses must become more vigilant and implement proactive measures to combat various cyberthreats.
- 3D Printing: Also known as additive manufacturing, this process provides more customization opportunities for metal fabricators and their customers.
- Reshoring of labor: Outsourcing manufacturing overseas has been a decades-long trend in many industries. In metal fabrication, the opposite is occurring. Rising production costs in foreign countries are causing U.S.-based fabricators to rethink their business model and bring more of these processes back home.
- Adopting lean manufacturing methodologies: Lean manufacturing is a manufacturing process that focuses on reducing production steps and eliminating waste. Metal fabricators that adopt these practices can experience significant cost reductions without sacrificing productivity.
- Digitization: Many metal fabrication companies are transitioning to digital technologies like electronic tools and devices that generate, process and store relevant data. These technology-based platforms can work in tandem with a human workforce to increase productivity and efficiency.
The Future of Metal Fabrication
Expect many of these trends, especially automation, 3D printing, robotics and digitization to continue well beyond 2022. These technologies should make companies within the metal fabrication industry more streamlined and productive. They’ll also allow fabricators to adapt quickly to their customers’ evolving needs.
The businesses that implement these processes most successfully will gain an edge in the increasingly competitive business environment.
Contact JSI Metal Fabrication to Learn More
At JSI Metal Fabrication, innovation in the metal industry is our company’s primary focus. When you partner with us for your metal fabrication needs, you can expect defect-free products, lightning-fast project turnaround times and on-time deliveries.
Contact us to learn more about our services and request a quote today.